DEVELOPING Clay BODIES/ Formulating Glazes
A 10-day workshop to learn about the different types of clay, their ingredients, properties and how to develop your own clay bodies. You will also learn advanced line blend methods to formulate glazes that match your clay body. Glaze formulation provides extensive learning opportunities in blending various raw materials, colourants and stains to make any colour palette.
- Session 1
- Introduction to the raw materials in clay. Physical testing of each raw material. Firing of various materials in their raw form.
- Introduction to the raw materials used in glazes. A glimpse of the theory behind the “line blending” method for formulating glazes.
- Session 2
- Evaluating the results of the raw materials fired at a high temperature. Understanding the concept of “the clay body”.
- Understanding the role of different materials in glazes and the effect on each other during a firing. Developing a transparent base glaze using the line blend method.
- Session 3
- Studying the results of fired clay bodies. Preparing larger batches of selected clay bodies for the workshop.
- Session 4
- Understanding the effect of firing on the base glazes. Testing glazes using line blend method to perfectly match the selected clay bodies
- Session 5
- Composing the matching glaze and addition of modifiers to make a suitable batch of base glaze
- Sessions 6, 7 & 8
- Adding raw materials as colouring agents to the base glaze to understand the effect of each material on the final fired colour
- Session 9
- Line blending glazes using stains as colourant
- Session 10
- Studying results of 4 firing sessions and discussions on formulation of further palettes of colours. Discussions and Q&A session.
WORKSHOP – DEVELOPING CLAY BODIES/ FORMULATING GLAZES
Are you, or someone you know, interested in learning how to make clay bodies or glazes and would like to attend this workshop?
Please complete this form and we will contact you with additional details, schedules, availability and pricing.
Sandeep started his journey with ceramics at the age of eight and he has dedicated his life to practicing and teaching pottery. Over the last few decades, Sandeep has taught and mentored hundreds of ceramic artists and enthusiasts across India.
Set among the lush farmlands of Raigad, with the verdant hills as a backdrop, the studio sets the stage for a slower life away from the city. Anvi Pottery attracts ceramists from all over India to practice pottery and attend classes, events and residencies.